Saturday 24 March 2018

EO and Ocean Plastic

My new years resolution is to use less plastic - thanks Blue Planet II - one of the big problems it has highlighted is large patches of ocean plastic, some of them as big as a large country. With projections estimating that there will be more plastic in the oceans than fish by 2050 it is important to start finding the problem areas so solutions can be developed and targeted. That is where I am not surprised to see EO playing a role. Looking for the spectral signatures for plastics, imagery from satellites such as Sentinel 3 is playing a role between ESA and industry partners in helping to do just this and creating maps measuring density of plastics in ocean regions.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.