Wednesday 4 October 2017

Underwater Laser Scanning

Readers of this blog might remember my interest in the many excellent shipwreck 3D models downloadable from the GSI/MI/INFOMAR online dataviewers. I discovered a related article recently on very high resolution underwater laser scanning of wrecks being carried out with the help of the university of Southampton. Image of an old galley scanned as part of the project below..


Wow - look at that detail, and look at how well preserved it is despite being exposed! They say this model was created through photogrammetric methods - which is interesting in itself and one of the first underwater applications that I have come across, if you discount some of our bathymetry tests using the UAVs imagery.

Thanks to LiDARNEWS for tip off on the full story

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.